One of my resolution’s this year is to revamp my diet to include healthier options. I sweet talked Monica to give me a few simple tips that I could incorporate into my routine because if it is not simple I probably won’t stick to it. We met for brunch with the pups and then she headed over to my apartment to see what I already had in my cabinets that would make my life healthier – and easier. What I love about Monica is not matter how busy she is (launching her new business Essence Nutrition, moving to a new pad, working with clients) she always has time for her gal pals. Of course I didn’t want to be greedy with her advice so I wanted to share with you. I’ll let her take it away! xo ~Ev
Nutrition doesn’t have to be complicated. Leave the nutritional biochemistry to the registered dietitians (yep, had to take that gem in grad school). Here’s how to simplify and streamline your eating habits so that making good food choices is as easy as (gluten-free, vegan) pie. Let’s start with some basic and easy changes you can make this month.
- Start the day right with a solid breakfast. When you make a good breakfast choice, you’re bound to select other healthy options for the rest of the day. You’ll feel energized, satiated, and motivated to keep up the good work when you choose things like:
- plain oatmeal with some raw nuts and berries (and an almond milk cappucino, obv)
- two organic eggs cooked any style in olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil, with a side of Ezekiel toast and melon. Bonus points for adding chopped veggies to those veggies.
- In order to get lean, you have to go green. Commit to choosing two fruits per day (spice it up and choose different ones daily in order to reap the widest variety of vitamins and minerals) and three different vegetables per day. You can do a couple at lunch, and one at dinner, or vice versa.
- ask for steamed or sauteed veggies as a side at dinner
- choose a salad as an entree for lunch with dark, leafy greens like kale, chard, mustard greens, arugula, or spinach
- Do not fear fat. Happy fats (unsaturated fats) are not what make us fat, interestingly. I’d explain the science, but you’d be snoozing like Madeleine (the Essence Nutrition Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) in three minutes flat. The point is to choose the good fats and don’t worry about them as much as you should worry about… dun dun dun… sugar
- add half an avocado to your lunch. Make it rain red pepper flakes on top for an anti-inflammatory kick
- add ¼ cup of raw nuts to your breakfast or use as a snack (there is literally a nut farm stashed in every purse I own)
- cook with avocado oil, olive oil, or coconut oil
- banish butter, margarine, spray oils, and vegetable oil
- Don’t let 50 Cent (or anyone else) take you to the candy shop. Sugar is bad news bears! It rots your teeth and your insides. And it’s sneaky as heck. It’s in practically every cereal, granola bar, salad dressing, your latte, and even breads. Make your own muesli, vegan energy bars, and salad dressings (hello, Essence Pinterest page: www.pinterest.com/feedyouressence), use stevia drops or Stevia in the Raw in your latte, and flavor your oatmeal with cinnamon instead of sugar. The more things in wrappers you consume, the more likely you are to find added sugars lurking. I am, however, a lady of convenience and have discovered some diamonds in the rough as far as bars, protein powders, and other snacks – so holler at me for specifics!
- You don’t have to do it alone! If you feel like you’re drowning in a sea of coconut oil and overloaded with nutrition information from friends and the media (don’t even THINK about putting butter in your coffee), I’ll throw you a banana and a life vest and make it real simple for you. Let a registered dietitian guide you seamlessly toward the best nutrition life you can possibly lead. Essence’s motto is “feed your essence”: I believe in satiating your physical, social, and emotional hunger. I promise to help you banish the food crazy and allow you to make peace with food.
Want more bites of nutrition information? Essence Nutrition is now open in cozy Coral Gables. Visit www.essencenutritionmiami.com and visit @eatlikemonica on Instagram. FaceTime consults are available for those of us not lucky enough to live in Miami paradise.