I am not going to pretend that I’m a Suzie Homemaker, after all I used my oven as shoe storage until last year! But when I do find something I love, I became a creepy evangelist about it. Ala my latest discovery of this low-fat gluten-free quiche. I love normal person quiche, the problem is that it’s usually loaded with a buttery crust (yum) and heavy cream (double yum). However, big girl is on a diet, so I needed to cut back and find healthy alternatives to my favorite dishes.
I found a recipe on Pinterest buuuuttttt I modified that shit because I wanted to make it even healthier (and I love goat cheese).
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, about 2.5 lbs ( I bought two because they were smaller)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups kale, chopped & packed
- 7 egg whites
- 1 cup (4 oz) goat cheese, I used a thyme goat cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray (I use Coconut Oil Cooking Spray)
To prep spaghetti squash:
- Heat oven to 400 F. Use a sharp knife to cut slits into the squash.
- Put squash in microwave for 5 minutes
- Carefully (because it’s hot as fuck) slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Place squash cut side down on baking sheet and roast until tender, 30 – 40 minutes.
- Use a fork to scrape out “spaghetti.”
Cook Pretty with these tools:
While that’s baking…
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add kale, 1/2 tsp Nutritional Yeast, 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper and saute until kale is bright green and soft.
- Transfer to a bowl with mushrooms and set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk egg whites until fluffy.
- Add the three cheeses
- Transfer the previously cooked mushrooms and kale bowl to the egg/cheese mixture.
- Set aside.
To make the crust…
- Separate spaghetti squash flesh into strands using a fork.
- Add to a medium bowl along with Nutritional Yeast, pepper and salt, and mix to combine.
- Transfer to a deep pie dish and press evenly on the bottom and sides using your hands. I sprayed my hands with cooking spray because the squash is sticky.
Add the Bowl Mixture to Crust and Bake…
- Pour the kale, mushroom, egg mixture into the prepared crust and flatten with spatula to make sure all vegetables are soaking in the liquid.
- Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 40 mins or until the knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let quiche cool down for at least 30 minutes.
Approximate Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 1 slice:
Total Fat: 6.4 g
Cholesterol: 61.5 mg
Sodium: 498.4 mg
Total Carbs: 14.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3 g
Protein: 14.0 g
Shop the Gear…
I absolutely love this dish and used it for my meal prep this week. I hope you will make this at home because it is so decadent and delicious!